Online Safety Tips:
- Always use a generic email account that does not reveal your full name. Do not use your personal email account or work account that reveals your name.
- If you don’t have a generic email account, you can easily create one via Gmail or Hotmail. Please see our FAQs below to learn how to create a generic email account.
- Do not reveal too much information about yourself until after you’ve met the person and feel comfortable with him/her.
- When meeting someone new, be sure to meet in a public place until you feel comfortable doing otherwise.
- Do NOT be talked into being picked up by the other person or meeting at their home (this is especially important for men/women friendships).
- Be safe and listen to your intuition (and the Holy Spirit) if something doesn’t feel or seem right. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Tell a friend or family member that you’re meeting someone new, when and where you will be meeting them and when you will be home. Let the person you’re meeting know that you’ve told others about the meeting.
- If you know something about the person you’ll be meeting, be sure to tell your friend or family member (for example, where they attend church, school or work).
- If you’re meeting a potential new roommate, ask for references and follow-up with each reference before agreeing to anything. Consider a background and credit check if you have any reservations. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Unfortunately, not everyone who claims to be a Christian actually is one, so be wise, ask questions and seek discernment.
How do I create a generic email account?
Use a free email service, such as Gmail or Hotmail, and create an email account that does not reveal your full name. For example, agapelove@_____.com. When creating this new account, do NOT use your full name when you sign up. Use your initials or other words instead. For example, instead of using Cathy Godden, use “C” or “Christian” for first name and “G” or “Gal” for last name. Be sure to test out your new account before using it. Send an email to one of your other email accounts or to a friend to make sure that your name is not revealed on the account in any way.
How do I find Gmail or Hotmail to set up a generic email account?
What if I receive an abusive or offensive email?
If you receive an offensive or abusive email from someone, please forward the email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and put “offensive” in the subject line, so we can have a record of it for possible future action. We recommend that you do NOT reply back to an abusive or offensive email. If you know who this person might be, tell us this in your email.
Why doesn’t the Singles section include photos?
We’ve designed the singles section a little different than other websites. This section is intended to create friendships that may lead to dating or courtship. Our intention is for singles to create postings to start activity, ministry or fellowship groups. If you’d like to create an individual positing to meet other singles one-on-one, that’s fine too. You can always request a photo via email after you’ve taken the time to get to know the person a little. If you request a photo from someone, please be polite and send a photo of yourself first.
How do you segment cities in Central, North and South Orange County?
We consider Anaheim, Costa Mesa, Fountain Valley, Irvine, Orange, Tustin, etc. as Central County and Anaheim Hills, Brea, Fullerton, Placentia, Yorba Linda, etc. as North County. Aliso Viejo to San Clemente covers South County. Beach Cities include Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, Monarch Beach, etc. If you’d like to include other cities like Dana Point, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, etc. under Beach Cities, that’s fine too. It’s not meant to be a science, just an easier way to help you connect with people who live in your city or surrounding areas.
How do I update or delete an active account?
OCCN registered users have the ability to access and edit the personal information in their account. To access and edit your personal information including your email address and password, first log into your account and click on the “My Profile” tab. This is where you can change or verify your personal information. If you would like to delete your account, email us at email@example.com and add “delete account” in the subject line of your email. Include your full name and the email address associated with your account in the body of your email and we’ll delete your account as soon as possible.
PLEASE CAREFULLY READ THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS RELATING TO YOUR USE OF THIS WEBSITE. By using this website, you agree to these TOU. We reserve the right to modify them at any time. Please check these terms and conditions periodically for changes. By using this website after we post any changes to these TOU, you agree to accept any changes, whether or not you have reviewed them. If, at any time, you choose not to accept these TOU, please discontinue use of this website.
ACCEPTANCE OF TERMS
By using the Service in any way, you are agreeing that you are a Christian and/or are interested in meeting Christians living in Orange County, Calif. and comply with the TOU. In addition, when using particular OCCN services, you agree to abide by any applicable posted guidelines for all OCCN services, which may change from time to time. Should you object to any term or condition of the TOU, any guidelines, or any subsequent modifications thereto or become dissatisfied with OCCN in any way, your only recourse is to immediately discontinue use of OCCN. OCCN has the right, but is not obligated, to strictly enforce the TOU through active investigation, litigation and prosecution.
You understand that all postings will be reviewed and approved or rejected prior to being posted online. The regular turn-around for approval or non-approval is 24 hours. However, there is the possibility that it may take longer for approval. Once your posting is approved and posted online, you are entirely responsible for the posting. If your posting is rejected, you will receive an email with the reason why it was rejected. You may re-submit your posting for approval if you change it to comply with the standards of this website. If your posting is rejected a second time, you will be asked to no longer submit postings unless there is a reasonable reason why your posting was rejected a second time.
THIRD PARTY CONTENT
The OCCN site and Content available through the Service may contain features and functionalities that may link you or provide you with access to third party content which is completely independent of OCCN,
including advertisements, web sites, directories, servers, networks, systems, information and databases, applications, products or services, and the Internet as a whole.
Your interactions with organizations and/or individuals found on or through the Service, including payment and delivery of goods or services, and any other terms, conditions, warranties or representations associated with such dealings, are solely between you and such organizations and/or individuals. You should make whatever investigation you feel necessary or appropriate before proceeding with any online or offline transaction with any of these third parties.
You agree that OCCN shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage of any sort incurred as the result of any such dealings. If there is a dispute between you and any third party companies, you understand and agree that OCCN is under no obligation to become involved. In the event that you have a dispute with one or more other third party companies, you hereby release OCCN, its officers, employees, agents and successors in rights from claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind or nature, known or unknown, suspected and unsuspected, disclosed and undisclosed, arising out of or in any way related to such disputes and/or our service. If you are a California resident, you waive California Civil Code Section 1542, that says: "A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his favor at the time of executing the release, which, if known by him must have materially affected his settlement with the debtor."
This website is intended first and foremost for Christians who agree with the following definitions of Christianity and the person of Jesus Christ:
- A Christian is a follower of Jesus Christ and His teachings found in the Holy Bible
- A Christian believes in the validity and unchanging Word of God which is found in the Holy Bible (Hebrews 4:12; II Timothy 3:16-17)
- A Christian is someone who has put their faith and trust in Jesus Christ (believing that Jesus died on the cross for their sins and was the atoning sacrifice that allows him/her to have a relationship with God – John 3:13-17)
- Jesus is a distinct person within the Trinity of God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) and is both fully God and fully man (John 1:1-14; Matthew 28:19)
- Jesus was the creative force of creation, died on the cross for the sins of the world, was raised from the dead and will return again one day for His church (Colossians 1:15-20; John 14:3),
If you do not agree with the above statements, you may still submit or reply to postings but please be aware that the majority of people on this website agree with the above statements and hold them dearly. Because of this, please be honest and upfront with anyone you may meet via this website if you believe otherwise. Hopefully in doing so, respectful and polite discussions will take place between you and any person(s) met via this website and no one will feel mislead.
You agree not to email anyone via this site or submit a posting:
- that berates, makes fun of or is negative towards Christianity, Jesus Christ or followers of Christ
- that is harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, or is harmful to minors or adults in any way
- that includes profanity or coarse language
- that violates the Fair Housing Act by stating, in any notice or ad for rental of any dwelling, a discriminatory preference based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap (or violates any state or local law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of these or other characteristics);
- that impersonates any person or entity, including, but not limited to, an OCCN employee, or falsely states or otherwise misrepresents your affiliation with a person or entity
- that includes personal or identifying information about another person without that person's explicit consent;
- that is false, deceptive, misleading, deceitful, misinformative, or constitutes "bait and switch"
Additionally, you agree not to:
- submit a posting unless you are currently or will be (in the very near future) living in Orange County, Calif.
- contact anyone who has asked not to be contacted, or make unsolicited contact with anyone for any commercial purpose;
- "stalk" or otherwise harass anyone;
- collect personal data about other users for commercial or unlawful purposes;
- attempt to gain unauthorized access to OCCN's computer systems or engage in any activity that disrupts, diminishes the quality of, interferes with the performance of, or impairs the functionality of, the Service or the OCCN website; or
- use any form of automated device or computer program that enables the submission of postings on OCCN without each posting being manually entered by the author thereof (an "automated posting device"), including without limitation, the use of any such automated posting device to submit
postings in bulk, or for automatic submission of postings at regular intervals.
A "Posting Agent" is a third-party agent, service, or intermediary that offers to post Content to the Service on behalf of others. To moderate demands on OCCN resources, you may not use a Posting Agent to post Content to the Service without express permission or license from OCCN. Correspondingly, Posting Agents are not permitted to post Content on behalf of others, to cause Content to be so posted, or otherwise access the Service to facilitate posting Content on behalf of others, except with express permission or license from OCCN.
We may, in the future, charge a fee to post Content in some areas of the Service. The fee is an access fee permitting Content to be posted in a designated area. Each party posting Content to the Service is responsible for said Content and compliance with the TOU. All fees paid will be non-refundable in the event that Content is removed from the Service for violating the TOU.
LIMITATIONS ON SERVICE
You acknowledge that OCCN may establish limits concerning use of the Service, including the maximum number of days that Content will be retained by the Service, the maximum number and size of postings or other Content that may be transmitted or stored by the Service, and the frequency with which you may access the Service. You agree that OCCN has no responsibility or liability for the deletion or failure to store any Content maintained or transmitted by the Service. You acknowledge that OCCN reserves the right at any time to modify or discontinue the Service (or any part thereof) with or without notice, and that OCCN shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Service.
ACCESS TO THE SERVICE
OCCN grants you a limited, revocable, nonexclusive license to access the Service for your own personal use. This license does not include: (a) access to the Service by Posting Agents; or (b) any collection,
aggregation, copying, duplication, display or derivative use of the Service nor any use of data mining, robots, spiders, or similar data gathering and extraction tools for any purpose unless expressly permitted by OCCN.
A limited exception to (b) is provided to general purpose Internet search engines and non-commercial public archives that use such tools to gather information for the sole purpose of displaying hyperlinks to the Service, provided they each do so from a stable IP address or range of IP addresses
using an easily identifiable agent.
Use of the Service beyond the scope of authorized access granted to you by OCCN immediately terminates any permission or license. In order to collect, aggregate, copy, duplicate, display or make derivative use of the Service or any Content made available via the Service for other purposes (including commercial purposes) not stated herein, must be approved first by OCCN.
TERMINATION OF SERVICE
You agree that OCCN, in its sole discretion, has the right (but not necessarily the obligation) to delete or deactivate your account, block your email or IP address, or otherwise terminate your access to or use of the Service (or any part thereof), immediately and without notice, and remove and discard any Content within the Service, for any reason, including, without limitation, if OCCN believes that you have acted inconsistently with the letter or spirit of the TOU. Further, you agree that OCCN shall not be liable to you or any third-party for any termination of your access to the Service. You also agree not to attempt to use the Service after said termination.
The Service is protected to the maximum extent permitted by copyright laws and international treaties. Content displayed on or through the Service is protected by copyright as a collective work and/or compilation, pursuant to copyrights laws, and international conventions. Any reproduction, modification, creation of derivative works from or redistribution of the site or the collective work, and/or copying or reproducing the sites or any portion thereof to any other server or location for further reproduction or redistribution is prohibited without the express written consent of OCCN. You also agree not to reproduce, duplicate or copy Content from the Service without the express written consent of OCCN, and agree to abide by any and all copyright notices displayed on the Service. You may not decompile or disassemble, reverse engineer or otherwise attempt to discover any source code contained in the Service. Without limiting the foregoing, you agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell or exploit for any commercial purposes, any aspect of the Service.
You are completely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your username and password that you designate during the Registration process and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your username and password. You agree to (a) immediately notify OCCN of any unauthorized use of your username or password or any other breach of security, and (b) ensure that you exit from your account at the end of each session. OCCN will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with this provision. You should use particular caution when accessing your account from a public or shared computer so that others are not able to view or record your password or other personal information.
INTERACTIONS WITH OTHERS
YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER PEOPLE THAT YOU COMMUNICATE WITH OR MEET VIA THIS WEBSITE. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT OCCN DOES NOT IN ANY WAY SCREEN PEOPLE THAT USE THIS SITE, NOR DOES OCCN INQUIRE INTO THE BACKGROUNDS OF ANYONE USING THIS WEBSITE OR ATTEMPT TO VERIFY THE STATEMENTS OF PEOPLE USING THIS WEBSITE. OCCN MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES AS TO THE CONDUCT OF PEOPLE USING THIS WEBSITE. IN NO EVENT SHALL OCCN BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, WHETHER DIRECT, INDIRECT, GENERAL, SPECIAL, COMPENSATORY, CONSEQUENTIAL, AND/OR INCIDENTAL, ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THE CONDUCT OF YOU OR ANYONE ELSE IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF THE SERVICES OF THIS WEBSITE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, BODILY INJURY, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, AND/OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES RESULTING FROM COMMUNICATIONS OR MEETINGS WITH OTHER USERS OF THIS SERVICE OR PERSONS YOU MEET THROUGH THIS SERVICE. YOU AGREE TO TAKE REASONABLE PRECAUTIONS IN ALL INTERACTIONS WITH PEOPLE YOU COMMUNICATE WITH, PARTICULARLY IF YOU DECIDE TO MEET OFFLINE OR IN PERSON. IN ADDITION, YOU AGREE TO REVIEW OCCN’S ONLINE SAFETY TIPS PRIOR TO USING THE SERVICE. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT OCCN MAKES NO GUARANTEES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, REGARDING YOUR ULTIMATE COMPATIBILITY WITH INDIVIDUALS YOU MEET THROUGH THE SERVICE.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
YOU AGREE THAT USE OF THE OCCN WEBSITE AND THE SERVICE IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE OCCN WEBSITE AND THE SERVICE ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" OR "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS, WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, OCCN DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES FOR THE SECURITY, RELIABILITY, TIMELINESS, ACCURACY, AND PERFORMANCE OF THE OCCN WEBSITE AND THE SERVICE. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, OCCN DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES FOR OTHER SERVICES OR GOODS RECEIVED THROUGH OR ADVERTISED ON THE OCCN WEBSITE OR ACCESSED THROUGH ANY LINKS ON THE OCCN SITE. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, OCCN DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES FOR VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS IN CONNECTION WITH THE OCCN WEBSITE OR THE SERVICE. Some jurisdictions do not allow the disclaimer of implied warranties. In such jurisdictions, some of the foregoing disclaimers may not apply to you insofar as they relate to implied warranties.
LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY
Under no circumstances shall OCCN be liable for direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages (even if OCCN has been advised of the possibility of such damages), resulting from any aspect of your use of the OCCN website or the Service, whether the damages are caused from use or misuse of the OCCN website or the Service, from inability to use the OCCN website or the Service, or the interruption, suspension, modification, alteration, or termination of the OCCN website or the Service. Such limitation shall also apply with respect to damages incurred by reason or other services or products received through or advertised in connection with the OCCN website or the Service or any links on the OCCN website, as well as by reason of any information or advice received through or advertised in connection with the OCCN website or the service or any links on the OCCN website. These limitations shall apply to the fullest extent permitted by law. In some jurisdictions, limitations of liability are not permitted. In such jurisdictions, some of the foregoing limitation may not apply to you.
You agree to indemnify and hold OCCN, its officers, subsidiaries, affiliates, successors, assigns, directors, officers, agents, service providers, suppliers and employees, harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorney fees and court costs, made by any third party due to or arising out of Content you post or make available through the Service, your use of the Service, your violation of the TOU, your breach of any of the representations and warranties herein, or your violation of any rights of another.
The TOU constitute the entire agreement between you and OCCN and govern your use of the Service, superseding any prior agreements between you and OCCN. The TOU and the relationship between you and OCCN shall be governed by the laws of the State of California without regard to its conflict of law provisions. You and OCCN agree to submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located within the county of Orange, California. The failure of OCCN to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the TOU shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of the TOU is found by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, the parties nevertheless agree that the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties' intentions as reflected in the provision, and the other provisions of the TOU remain in full force and effect. You agree that regardless of any statute or law to the contrary, any claim or cause of action arising out of or related to use of the Service or the TOU must be filed within one (1) year after such claim or cause of action arose or be forever barred.
PRIVACY AND INFORMATION DISCLOSURE
Information we may collect
We may collect information that can identify you (“personal information”), such as your name and email address, (i) when you provide it to us when you register for an account.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under that age of 13. Should we ever do so, we will comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act.
Information others may collect
We allow third-party advertising companies or ad networks to display advertisements on our website.
- We do not provide any personal information to these companies.
- These companies may use tracking tools, such as cookies, to collect information about computers used to view or interact with their advertisements.
- Some of these companies may be members of the Network Advertising Initiative, which offers consumers the ability to opt out of ad targeting by all member companies.
If you post information about yourself or others, or communicate with others using our website, please note that we cannot control who reads your postings or what they do with the information you provide. We encourage you to use caution in posting personal information.
How we may use information we collect
We may use information to:
- Fulfill your request for the services offered on this website
- Offer products and services that may be of interest to you;
- Customize the advertising and content that you see on our website;
- Facilitate use of our website;
- Manage your account and your preferences;
- Analyze use of and improve our website, products and services;
- Identify and protect against fraudulent transactions and other misuses of our website; and
With whom we may share information we collect
We will not share your personal information with others except as indicated below, or except when we inform you in advance and give you the opportunity to opt out. We may share personal information with:
- Service providers, such as credit-card payment processors, performing services on our behalf;
- Other third parties in limited circumstances, such as complying with legal requirements, preventing fraud, and protecting the safety of our users.
Your choices – you may choose:
- Not to provide personal information, although that may result in your inability to obtain certain services or use certain features of our website (for example, you can reply to postings without creating an account or providing personal information but you will not be able to create postings without an active account);
- To stop receiving promotional emails from us by sending an email to OC Christian Network at firstname.lastname@example.org and by adding “no promotional emails” in the subject line.
Updating or Deleting an Active Account
OCCN registered users have the ability to access and edit the personal information in their account. To access and edit your personal information including your email address and password, first log into your account and click on the “My Profile” tab. This is where you can change or verify your personal information. If you would like to delete your account, email us at email@example.com and put “delete account” in the subject line of your email. Include your full name and the email address associated with your account in the body of your email and we’ll delete your account as soon as possible.
What, if any, security procedures are in place to protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of personal information?
OCCN has security measures in place to attempt to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of your user data under our control. While our employees have access to information, including your username and password, OCCN has strict rules for employees to maintain all of this information in strict confidence and not to permit this information to be disseminated to third parties. While we cannot guarantee that loss, misuse or alteration to data will not occur, we make every effort to prevent such unfortunate occurrences.
You are ultimately responsible for the security of your OCCN username and password. Please take care when using and storing them. OCCN recommends that you do not divulge your password to anyone. You should log out of your browser at the end of each computer session to ensure that others cannot access your personal information and correspondence, especially if you share a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place like a library or Internet cafe.